Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Ark and Women

Ark had always felt uncomfortable with women. They were incomprehensible, strange beings that didn't seem to be governed by rational rules. And they turned others that surrounded them irrational, too.

That girl with big eyes was still talking, but he was not listening. He was spellbound, paralyzed. He hated that feeling of helplessness. Whenever he felt threatened, he could always pull out the sword. But that was impossible with a girl. There was something about the way she placed a finger to her nose, thoughtfully, as she continued talking. There was something in the way she retreated her blue hair behind her ear. Something in the way she opened and closed her eyelids with those long lashes. Something that was unable to describe, that left him more helpless than a baby in a basket being dragged by the current of a river.

-Long story short, when I saw that little bud that appeared on the tree, I thought that something very strange was happening. Because...You know? Since I appeared here 18 years ago, this tree had always been dead. Hey ... Are you listening to me?

-Uh? - Ark came to with a spasm, as when one is awakened from a deep sleep - Ah, yes, yes - It was not true. He hadn't listened to any word she had said - but I was thinking uh ...that it would be nice to know your name. What is your name?

-What is my name? - She repeated that funny gesture, her finger on the nose - Ume. My name is Ume. And yours?

She was speaking slowly, as if she was struggling with this type of communication.

-My name is Ark. Nice to meet you, Ume.

-What are you talking about? We've already met each other! - she raised an eyebrow, puzzled.

-This is called a presentation. It's a social rule. It's a polite thing to do. You give me my name and I give you mine in exchange. We had forgotten.

-A presentation? - She laughed, twisted her mouth and her eyes narrowed - Social rule? Ha ha! I think the only fool here is you.

-----------------------

-Ume. You haven't answered me yet. Where are we exactly? I mean ... I have to go back to the Fortress. I do not know how to get back and you ...

Suddenly, Ume silenced him. Without realizing it, she had approached him, on tiptoe, and, without a word, she kissed him on the lips.

-Is this also a social rule?

-¡¿Wh ... What are you doing ?!

-Why are you trying to avoid me all the time? I don't get it. I just want you to be my companion. I've been very lonely for many years.

-No ... that's not what I mean. But you can't suddenly...

Ark felt as if his heart was pumping with a blistering pace. His breathing ragged. His chest was burning. He felt an unbearable desire to run away. He also wished that those waters swallowed him forever.

-Suddenly? - Again she approached him. He backed up again and bumped his head against the tree trunk - Ha ha! Again! You're cute.

-Ume, I ...

-You? - Again she brought her lips over Ark's lips, very naturally. When she was about to kiss him again, he collapsed on his knees, and placed both his hands over his flushed face. Then he felt the whole world collapsing on him, contracting and expanding. The colors were mixing each other. Something inside him began to spin in vertigineous speed, in spiral shaped turns as if it wanted to go somewhere.

-¡Ark! - Ume shouted. And she embraced him - What's wrong? Hey!

And they both disappeared from that island, in the blink of an eye.
And that watery world, for the first time, was left completely alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment